ALACN and the Alabama State Department of Education have partnered with Google to make a tremendous opportunity available for 4th Grade to 8th Grade students. (Based on student skill level, this age range is adjustable plus/minus a grade level.)
The Computer Science initiative, CS First, was developed by Google to further engage students in technological pursuits. One of the primary objectives of the CS First Club format is to help students experience how technology can be related to any arena, discipline, or sector – regardless of where their interests or curiosities lead them – thus, expanding their horizons and career possibilities. The mastery of computer science or proficiency with coding are not necessary to host or implement the initiative, as all the training and materials provided are designed to be easily utilized.
For your convenience, we have included the following easy steps to establish your own CS First Club in your Out-of-School program:
- Watch Google’s short, inspiring video.
- If you have not already: Create an account by clicking Sign in with Google and use your gmail or other account. (Note: If you do not have a Gmail account, just click “Create an Account” then you can 1) make a Gmail account to use or 2) if you would rather use a different email click on “I prefer to use my current email address”)
- Once you are signed in, select the role “Host: I have access to a group of students and computers. I am interested in hosting a CS First Club at my location.”
- Set your location to your school and then click Create a New Club (You can make multiple clubs!)
- Complete the club setup – you’ll set the dates, the times, theme, etc.
- Check out the Training Videos to prep for leading your club.
- Spread the word, and tell others!
If you have questions or need further clarification – please let us know.